Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Pizza Pie



Here's a quick and easy alternative to deep dish pizza from your local pizza place. You can play with the ingredients and try all kinds of different combos. I used a mixture of ground beef and italian sausage for my meat layer and I love green pepper and mushroom on my pizza so I topped this pie with them.
Also, like I said, this is a "quick and easy" meal, so I also used a tube of biscuit dough for my crust, but feel free to use actual pizza dough.

For my Pizza Pie you will need:
1/2 pd ground beef
1/2 pd Italian sausage
1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
2-3 cups shredded mozzarella/parmesan mix
1/2 cup sliced mushroom
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
Italian seasoning
salt and pepper

First, preheat oven to 375. Grease a deep-dish pie plate or cast iron skillet.


In a skillet, brown the beef and sausage.

Add some salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. I probably used a 3/4 teaspoon or so of Italian seasoning.
Next, add the jar of spaghetti sauce.


Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 5 min. 


Arrange your dough in the bottom of the pan you will be baking your pie in. Sprinkle about a half cup of cheese over the dough.

Next, spread the meat sauce over the dough.


Now add the peppers and mushrooms, and top with remaining cheese.


Bake uncovered for 16-18 minutes, til cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment