Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Bulgogi (Korean Beef)


I love Chinese food. I love Japanese food. I love Thai food. My husband, however, is not a fan. Although the other day he said he likes Korean food, go figure. I took this as a green light to make something new, delicious, and ethnic! I read a few Bulgogi recipes, and adapted my own.
We scarfed down a few plates of this stuff last night, it was awesome.
An authentic bulgogi recipe uses flank steak for the most part, but the day I went shopping the butchew was out of flank steak. that was fine by me though. When all else fails, go with ribeye! Ribeye is my favorite cut of meat. It's so versatile. It's obviously a great steak to grill on its own, but it's tender and packed full of flavor since it's a fattier cut of meat.
Also, all the recipes I read through, used a Red Leaf lettuce, I opted for romaine.

So for my version of Bulgogi you need:
"about" 1 1/2 pounds boneless ribeye
1/2 cup soy sauce
5 green onions, chopped
3 tablespoons white sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 1/2 tablespoons sesame seed oil
1/2 - 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (make as hot as you want)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper


Slice up your meat...




Combine the rest of your ingredients in a bowl...


Pour the marinade mixture over the meat and let it marinate at least 2 hours, and as long as over-night...

When you're ready to cook, heat a skillet to a high heat and pan fry for about 5 min, or until no longer pink...



Serve the meat with white rice and romaine lettuce. Top with additional soy sauce or hot sauce (I prefer Sriracha sauce).





Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment