Thursday, June 9, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper & Turkey Panini's

I've been wanting to roast peppers again ever since I made chili rellanos a while back. I did it a ridiculously hard way that time, and I've been wanting a do-over. So I thought up this sandwich yesterday when I was grocery shopping. It turned out p.e.r.f.e.c.t.

You need a loaf of ciabatta bread, or any artisan bread will do. I used a three-cheese cibatta from my Albertson's bakery.

You need Red Bell Peppers, you figure a half pepper for every sandwich (or you can buy roasted red peppers in a jar)
Provolone cheese, I used 3 slices on each sandwich
Pesto, about a teaspoon for each sandwich
Turkey, oven roasted. I used Sara Lee and it was delicious.

First thing, IF you're roasting your own peppers, turn your oven's broiler on (high). Just on a cookie sheet, broil the peppers for about 15-20 min. Once they are completely roasted, take them out and immediately put them into a plastic bag and seal. Let them sit for another 20 min. This will make it soooooo much easier to peel them.

When you go to peel them, the skin should literally just fall off.
Now you're readyfor assembly. Get your panini machine hot, or if you're like me, your grill pan :)
Slice your loaf up into about 1 inch slices. Lightly butter or drizzle olive oil on the outside of your bread slices. Spread pesto on one slice from each sandwich. Top that slice with one piece of provolone, and the other slice with 2 pieces of provolone. Layer on your turkey and peppers.



Grill on each side for about 5 min, or until cheese is melted. Enjoy!!!

We loved them....




1 comment:

  1. Bob, If you have a gas stove - you can put your peppers on the stove burner and do them that way too! I do it that way and don't have to clean up a pan. I also put a folded wet paper towell in my plastic bag, it increased the humidity and they peel super easy! I'm going to try your recipe - looks delish!!!

    ReplyDelete