Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Lemon Meringue Pie


I have never before made any kind of meringue. It always scared me. I don't know why though, it's so easy! I have been saying for months that I was going to make a lemon meringue pie, ever since my husband bragged about his late grandma's lemon meringue pies. I knew I wasn't going to be up on her level any time soon, but I was determined to try. I think it came out perfect.

For the Filling:
1.5 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups water
3 lemons, juiced and zested
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
6 egg yolks, beaten
1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked (deep dish)

For the Meringue:
6 egg whites
9 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Heat oven to 350

I think it's best to get the meringue going first. You need to beat the egg whites for like 15 min, so if you have a stand mixer, you can prepare the filling while the meringue is going.

Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy.


Add sugar gradually, add the vanilla, and the tartar, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. (15 min)


Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt.


Stir in water, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter.




Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked pastry shell.   

            



Pour filling into your pre-baked crust


Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.   

            
I used the back side of a spoon to give my meringue some pretty swirls


Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.               


No comments:

Post a Comment