Monday, August 1, 2011

Italian Grilled Cheese


It's like some garlic toast and a grilled cheese sandwich made love :)

You need:
a loaf of french bread
4 slices of provolone
1 cup italian seasoned bread crumbs
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
a dash of garlic powder
small jar of your favorite tomato sauce (I like Ragu)

In a bowl big enough to dip the sandwiches, whisk the eggs, milk, and garlic powder. Use another bowl for the bread crumbs.
From the loaf, cut four 1 in. thick pieces of bread..


Cut slits into each slice, as deep and wide as you can without tearing the bread. Stick a piece (or 2) of provolone cheese into the slit..


Dip the sandwiches into the bread, then the bread crumbs..

Cook them on a buttered skillet til cooked through (about 3 min each side)..


**UPDATE- some of my friends have been making these and have had a hard time getting the cheese to melt. I kept mine on the skillet for a while, but another idea would be; Once they've browned up on the skillet, put them in the oven at 350 for about 8 min or so. This way you don't have to burn your bread trying to melt the cheese.

Serve with warm tomato sauce for dipping. Nom Nom Nom..


2 comments:

  1. I cut my bread to thick and my cheese didn't melt as much as I wanted it to because of it.

    I will try it again with thinner bread next time.

    Oh and I freaking forgot the stupid tomato sauce...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's harder to stuff the bread if you don't cut it thick enough. I left mine in the skillet for a looooong time to get the cheese melted. But I was just thinking, once it's golden brown, you could put them in the oven for like 10 min to get that cheese to melt better.

    ReplyDelete